I looooove granola, especially the homemade stuff, but like many others with digestive issues, oats just don’t seem to sit very well with me. Even the gluten free ones! Since I’d stopped making my granola I set out for another yummy, healthy breakfast alternative and was delighted when I came across the recipe for Grain Free Granola Balls from Daily Bites Blog.
I made a few substitutions so mine didn’t turn out exactly like hers, but they turned out moist, tasty and of course extremely healthy. You may notice that in these pictures I used whole almonds, and in the recipe I say to use sliced. The whole almonds were a little too overpowering for such a small cookie, but other than that, they were perfect for quick energy in the morning.
½ cup raw sunflower seeds
½ cup hemp seeds
½ cup almond flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp himilayan pink salt
½ cup almonds, sliced
¼ cup blueberries
¼ cup cherries, chopped
¼ cup plus 1 tbsp organic maple syrup
2 tbsp tahini or other nut butter
1 tbsp water
½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, almond flour, cinnamon and salt in a food processor with steel blade. Pulse for ten 1-second pulses to form a coarse meal. Transfer to mixing bowl.
- Stir in chopped almonds and fruit. Add maple syrup, nut butter, water and vanilla and stir until well mixed. Dough should be thick and stiff.
- Using wet hands, form dough into tightly-packed balls (about 12). Arrange on baking sheet.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown. Balls will be soft to touch. Cool completely before serving or storing.